Saturday is one of my favorite days and, being of Swedish and Finnish heritage, Sweden is one of my favorite places, so it was a natural fit. What? Oh yes, of course there’s a lot more to Sweden than pickled herring and VIkings. They have
- Former F1 drivers Ronnie Peterson and Stefan Johansson, who now manages IndyCar’s Scott Dixon.
- (had) an F1 GP hosted at Anderstorp from 1973-1978.
- and nowadays they have a WRC Rally race and driver, Per-Gunnar Andersson.
I can tell you from experience that technology and efficiency rate high on their list of values, so I highly recommend a visit if you can manage it. Stockholm is gorgeous, sometimes called the Paris of the North, spreading across 14 islands. A walk through Old Town (Gamla Stan) is a must, with all the restaurants and shops. Or you can travel to the nearby archipelago. Remember if you go in June you can have 24 hour sunlight. For the dark winters the Swedes indulge their zeal for hockey with local rivalries like Hammerby vs. AIK. When I was in the AIK rink I was told the ice in the hockey rinks in Sweden are kept colder than those in the States for faster ice.
Because Sweden is so far north and with the cold in the winter I bet there’s some great stargazing to be done there. I’ve always wanted to see the Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis, and that’s where I’d like to do it. But tonight you can see if you can see the Perseid Meteor Shower if that pesky full moon doesn’t ruin it. There’s hope, though, because the Perseids can be quite plentiful and visible.
F1 Shopping Lists
Inspired by a comment from Journeyer today about Williams’ current shopping list, I wondered if you could add some items to other teams’ shopping list. What does Force India need? McLaren? Red Bull?
- Manipe looks at Who’s Going Where in 2012 with a list of drivers and teams
- For breaks, or off season doldrums, or for all the time
- Summer Swap Shop is on, with an interesting discussion continuing about driver performance
- Please add a couple of F1 Shows Never to be Broadcast if you’re feeling creative. I know we have a few more in us
- The Renault World Series is next weekend, and several Sidepodders are going, so hopefully they’ll be able to get together. Maybe they’ll even bring some stickers.
While F1 is on their break
IndyCar is at Loudon, New Hampshire this weekend for the first time in 13 years. Here’s some of the latest news, including some details about Justin Wilson’s height being a factor in his serious back injury last weekend at Ohio . We hope he’s better soon, and that the new cars will be safer for a guy who’s 6’3”.
And let me take a moment to appreciate the wonderful group of people we get to spend time with here. See you in the comments, everyone!